24 Restore is a team of cleaning, restoration and remodeling specialists backed by an on-call support team of restoration experts. Our thorough and efficient staff guarantees satisfaction for both property owners and insurance companies. 24 Restore provides quality disaster cleaning and repair, including 24-hour emergency service in Greenville, NC.
This time of year is the perfect time to cuddle up by your fireplace and enjoy the beauty and comfort of a crackling fire. While fireplaces are a great addition to any home, there are also a fire hazard. That’s why it’s important to be cautious and alert when using your home’s fireplace this winter.
Here are some fireplace safety tips from Direct Energy:
- Only use dry wood, newspaper, and pine cones for your fire. Damp or soft wood can release high amounts of creosote, a harmful chemical, when burned. That’s why it’s important to use only seasoned wood that is completely dry.
- It’s also important to not burn household items in your fireplace. Items such as plastic can release harmful chemicals when burned and cause damage to your fireplace as well as harm people in the home.
- Never leave a fire unattended. If you feel drowsy and fear that you might fall asleep, extinguish the fire before you doze off. Before leaving your home, always check to make sure that your fireplace is completely extinguished.
- If you have children or pets in the home, closely monitor them to make sure that they don’t get too close to the fireplace when it’s in use.
- Be sure to clean your fireplace and chimney regularly to keep them working properly.
- Have a fire extinguisher within reach whenever your fireplace is in use.
We hope that you enjoy the warmth of your fireplace this winter, but please be sure to do so safely.
If your home is in need of repair, call the fire and water restoration specialists at 24 Restore in Greenville, NC.